Avoid IRS Disputes By Correcting Mistakes Before They Come Back to Bite

If you have dealt with an IRS dispute in the past, you know exactly how stressful and difficult the process can be. The IRS is often referred to as the “world’s most brutal collection agency”, and for good reason. Once it has determined that you owe it money, the IRS will employ a wide variety of tactics designed to extract their payment as quickly as possible. These tactics include garnishing checks, seizing assets, and much more.

If you are in the midst of such a dispute, we do have good news for you. Though the IRS doesn’t want you to know this, the truth is that you do have rights and you can fight back. contact us today if you are in the midst of such a dispute and need help to get the IRS off your back.

The best way to avoid an IRS dispute is to make sure that you file your taxes properly each year. Unfortunately, it’s easy for even the most well-intentioned taxpayer to make a mistake. Today, we’re going to share information provided by the IRS which discusses the process of correcting such mistakes. Below are several tips—to read the full story, click here.

 When to amend a return.  Generally, you should file an amended return if your filing status, number of dependents, total income, tax deductions or tax credits were reported incorrectly or omitted. Additional reasons for amending a return are listed in the instructions.

When NOT to amend a return.  In some cases, you do not need to amend your tax return. The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as Forms W-2 or schedules – when processing an original return. In these instances, do not amend your return.

Form 1040X.  The Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows original figures from the original return. Column B shown the changes you are making. Column C shows the corrected figures. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes and the reasons for the changes.

Multiple amended returns.  If you are amending more than one year’s tax return, prepare a separate 1040X for each return and mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS processing center (see “Where to File” in the instructions for Form 1040X).

Form to use.  Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to amend a previously filed Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. Make sure you check the box for the year of the return you are amending on the Form 1040X. An amended tax return cannot be filed electronically.

If you’ve made a mistake on a tax return and you catch it on your own, the information provided above will help you correct the situation. However, if you didn’t catch your mistake on time and are now dealing with an IRS dispute, get in touch with us today. Nobody should take on the IRS by themselves, and with the Law Offices of Nick Nemeth on your side, you don’t have to!


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *