Are Rats Pests, or Pets?
While many people struggle to keep rats, mice, and other rodents out of their homes, some other folks keep them as pets. Of course, there is a big difference between the domesticated pet shop rats and those that can be found lurking about in the wild. Pet store rats are normally clean, and somewhat tame. Wild rats, or those which are found in and around some homes, are not.
According to the CDC, Leptospirosis (a disease which can lead to kidney failure), and other diseases can be spread through rats to humans. Rats can also destroy homes and furniture. They have also been known to bite. All Pest Control Company (a Portland Pest Control business) offers you these interesting facts about rats which can be of interest to people who love or hate rat
Interesting Rat Facts
Following are some facts which you may or may not know about rats. Anyone who loves or hates rats will see some fascinating, and perhaps helpful information about these four legged little creatures.
- Rats cannot vomit
- Rats will survive being flushed down the toilet
- Rats will care for the sick and injured in their groups
- The herb Valerian is the rat equivalent to catnip (it is said that the Pied Piper used this)
- Rats are very social animals
- Estimations are; there is one rat for every person in the United States
- A rat can jump 3 feet into the air, and 4 feet forward
- A group of rats is called a “mischief” of rats
- Rats are omnivors and can eat other animals
- Cedar and Pine oils are toxic to rats
More Interesting Facts about Rats
There are actually many interesting things about rats. Whether you are just curious, own rats, or want to rid your home of them, some of these facts may come in handy.
- Rats sweat through the soles of their feet
- Rats have poor vision
- Rats chatter or grind their teeth when they are happy
- Mayans and Ancient Egyptians worshiped the Rat
- Rats can pass through and crawl through pipes and other openings only 1 1/2″ wide
- Rats begin breeding when they are only 5 weeks old
We hope you’ve enjoyed these interesting facts about rats. Remember, if you live in the Northwest and need help, call for Portland pest control today.
Views All Time