5 Categories of depression.
- Cognitive (thinking)
- Physical ( headaches, GI pain)
There are a number of classic symptoms of depression:
- Lack of motivation
- Sleep disorder
- Weight (gain/lost)
- Social withdrawal
- Feeling of worthless and guilt
- Low energy.
Low levels of serotonin are strongly associated with states of depression and low levels of dopamine, adrenaline or noradrenaline are common with reduced motivation.
Supplements to help correct these imbalances naturally, 5-HTP (precursor for serotonin), L-tyrosine (precursor for dopamine)
There are other highly effective natural remedies
- St. John’s wort
- Folic Acid, vitamin B6 and SAMe
- Check for hypothyroidism
Manic Depression aka Bipolar disorder
It’s diagnosis may change throughout the course of the illness. Bipolar is often swapped and changed with schizophrenia / ADHD.
Bipolar typically have one or more of these nutritional imbalances:
- Deficiency of Zinc and B6
- Blood sugar problems
A number of treatment modalities for manic depression potentially dangerous cause swinging due to medication contradiction as one treats depression.
3 ways to help people with bipolar disorder.
- Take nutritions to help stabize moods
- Nutrients to help reduce anxiety
- Nutrients that promote healthy sleep.
Other modalities of therapy that maybe beneficial: yoga, high dose magnesium and mediation.
- Fears, phobia and extreme paranoia
- illusions and disillusion
- Anti-social behavior
Classic symptoms are separated into 2 classes:
- Those that bother the person
- those that bother the people around them.
- balancing blood sugar is critical for success
- increased amounts of omega 3&6
- minimize oxidants and maximize antioxidants
- niacin, B12 and folic acid together are shown to work best
- A healthy, low-protein diet and supplementation
- Wheat, milk, tobacco, eggs and sugar top allergens
- If low histamine, recommend niacin, B12 and folic acid, but if high DO NOT suggest large amounts of folic acid or B12.
There are evidence of immune system weakness,viral infection and GI and detox problems.
- Posture problems.
This disease is attributed to lack of dopamine. Correct nutritional intervention can also significantly improve parkinson’s symptoms.
Dopamine deficiency causes Parkinson’s and meds aim to improve the bodys ability to make dopamine.
Some reasons why people may have an impaired ability to make dopamine:
- brain cells die
- deficiency in HCL
- neuro can’t be made anymore
- poor liver detox
For total optimium nutrition approach, diet and supplement is needed.
- help neurons work properly
- reduce oxidants
- boost antioxidants
- improve digestion and absorption
- increase liver function
- control blood sugar
- manage allergies and stress.
Movement problems get worse when protein foods with certain amino acids are eaten close to L-dopa ( compete for binding).
It is best to take L-Dopa and wait 1hr before eating any of these it is also best to wait 2hrs after eating these before taking L-Dopa.
A balanced diet including fruits, vegetables, gluten free garins and plenty of fluids is also important.
Biggest benefits of a high quality nutritional strategy: reduce symptoms and make meds work better.
Age-Related Memory Decline.
Some reasons nutrient deficiency becomes more common as we age, can’t break and down protein as well (low HCL), brain is not challenged, accumulation of toxin, sleeping problems, etc.
Famous 5 nutrients to prevent memory- decline:
- Trace elements
Addition, key lifestyle factors (boost aging brain)
- stress reduction
- use it or lose it
Alzheimer’s can often be slow down or stopped or even prevented.
- Poor nutrition
- detoxification issue
- circulation problems
- viral infections
- toxin accumulation
- free-radical damage
ApoE helps transport cholesterol and build healthy neuronal membranes.
Vitamin E may play a key role in preventing/slowing down Alzheimer (stop virus from changing your genes)
The characteristic diagnostic proof of Alzheimer is Beta-amyloyd plaque.
- Natural anti-inflammatory nutrients (EFAs and antioxidant).
- Stress-management techniques.
Chronic stress induced increases in cortisol levels cause dendrites to shrivel up.
Adrenal exhaustion can reduce cortisol levels and also increase inflammation.
- approaching digestive and liver detoxification problems also helps
- adequate intake of B-Vitamins can reduce homocysteine levels.
- Aluminum and mercury are also a problem
- boosting memory molecule with ACH