Integrating Social Bookmarking Widget in Blogger
Social bookmarking widgets are little buttons that allow you to share a link to different social networking websites. Most of them usually offer a little widget under every post.
There are many bookmarking widgets and the well known are addthis, lockerz share, po.st, and sharethis. Other plugins like meebo bar also allow people to share your site. The most common in these is addthis since it contains almost all social bookmarking sites.
We will be focusing on bookmarking widgets and how to implement them in blogger.com
Importance of Adding a Share Bookmarklet
The Importance of adding a share bookmarklet makes your post ready for being shared. People might get the idea of sharing an interesting post to a social networking site.
This takes the advantage of viral marketing, a way that lets your site spread throughout social networks and get discovered.
By default, blogger has already an installed social bookmarklet. But is very limited and some people would prefer adding other services and features like a like button
Here are the steps in adding a social bookmark widget. I will be using the new blogger layout since google announced that the old blogger layout will soon be removed.
Note: We will be editing your blogger template. Make sure you keep a backup copy of your template just in case something unexpected happens. If you’re willing to add your social widget, proceed at your risk.
- On your post list, go to Template.
- Click on Edit HTML.
- A message will warn you that editing HTML might affect some features. Just proceed instead. (Nothing can stop you.)
- Ok, before editing, make sure you check Expand Widget Templates. This will show some of the widget containers we will be needing.
- Just for a little safety, copy all of the code to a text editor like Notepad and save it as a backup copy of your template.
- Search of a tag with a class po-st footer. Usually it will look like this <div class=’post-footer’>.
PO.ST code for blogger
Here is the snippet for po.st
<div class=“pw-widget pw_copypaste_true pw-size-medium pw_counter_true”>
<a class=“pw_title” style=“display:none“><data:post.title/></a>
<a class=“pw_url” style=“display:none“><data:post.url/></a>
<!– Po.st end http://jeremejazz.blogspot.com–>